Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
MERRILLVILLE, Ind. – Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) is pleased to announce that it has been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with a 2013 ENERGY STAR® Leadership in Housing Award. This award recognizes the contribution NIPSCO has made to energy-efficient construction and environmental protection.
Created in 2008, NIPSCO’s Residential New Construction Program offers incentives to local builders and developers who construct homes to ENERGY STAR standards. To earn the ENERGY STAR label, a home must meet strict guidelines for energy efficiency set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. These homes are up to 30 percent more efficient than typical new homes built today.
Together, families living in ENERGY STAR certified homes saved nearly $626 million on their utility bills and avoided greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of more than 686,000 vehicles last year alone.
Since NIPSCO’s Residential New Construction Program began, 1,527 homes across northern Indiana have earned incentives. Nationwide, more than 1.4 million ENERGY STAR certified homes have been built to date, with more than 100,000 constructed in 2012.
“We thank ENERGY STAR for recognizing NIPSCO’s efforts to help our customers build efficient homes,” said Victoria Vrab, director of conservation programs for NIPSCO. “Together with local builders we are helping encourage the adoption of energy-saving features, including insulation and duct sealing systems, high performance windows and efficient heating and cooling equipment that will help our customers achieve long-term energy savings.”
Additional energy efficiency programs
In addition to the Residential New Construction Program, NIPSCO customers have access to a wide range of energy efficiency programs which can help them identify ways to manage energy usage at home and the office, including:
· Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program: Save even more when you replace old, inefficient equipment with new, high efficiency natural gas and electric equipment as well as insulation and duct sealing.
· Energy Efficiency Incentives for Businesses, Schools: Businesses and organizations of all size can take advantage of rebates and other incentives on renovation and new construction projects.
· Home Energy Assessment: Learn how you can raise your home’s performance, lower energy bills and improve in-home air quality with an in-home assessment.
· Appliance Recycling Program: Recycle your old refrigerator or freezer with us – it’s free and we’ll give you a $35 reward.
· Air Conditioner (AC) Cycling Program: Help reduce energy demand on the hottest days of the year and earn bill credits during the summer.
· Instant Savings on CFL Bulbs: Take advantage of instant, in-store discounts when purchasing CFL bulbs at participating retail locations. No coupons or forms needed.
A full list of energy efficiency programs available to NIPSCO customers can be found at www.NIPSCO.com/SaveEnergy.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Today, ENERGY STAR offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money and help protect the environment for future generations. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov or call toll-free 1-888-STAR-YES (1-888-782-7937).
# # #
|< Prev||Next >|